Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Camp Baker- The Baker's Dozen

Pre-Trip Blog

After 5 pre-trip meetings with goofy ice breakers and educational discussions there was still so little we all knew about each other. The night before our trip we decided to have dinner at my house/ a sleep over for the people who lived further away. I was excited to bond with all of the new faces. My first experience with people with mental disabilties was in Texas two summers prior. I had a difficult time dealing with it then, and feared that those feelings would resurface. I found it hard to communicate with those that could not communicate, and had mixed emotions at the time. I was going in with a fresh perspectives, but still a few reservations. I do not know anyone personally with a mental illness, but it is so prevalent that I feel everyone should work with this demographic at some point in his or her life. I find myself learning just as much from them. In the morning we all piled into our two vans, and had a nice quiet ride up- and I say this because our ride back, now that we felt more comfortable, was loud with singing and games.

During Trip

Coming Soon

Post-Trip

I have been given the opportunity to experience another society of people. Not only did I bond with the members of the Camp Baker family, but also my new Alt Break family (literally... we made a family tree...). Alternative Break was an amazing experience and since I returned I have been telling everyone I see that they absolutely have to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment