Saturday, January 1, 2011

Mississippi Here I Come!

SO Happy NEW 365 EVERYONE!!!!!
It is 12:12 am and I leave my grandma's house for the airport in about 5 1/2 hours.
I am unnecessarily excited for what this trip has in store my me and my wonderful Mississppi group!
I can't wait to reunite with everyone and hear how their holidays have been.
As a social work major I absolutely love serving others and working with children and from the "job" description I received from my site leaders 2 days ago that is EXACTLY what we will be doing in Clarksdale: working in some of the local schools and doing some work in the town. Unfortunately for shortage of time, I believe our group will have to split up during the day so we can tackle each task accordingly.
I also look forward to just being exposed to the town of Clarksdale, as well as the state of Mississippi. During out pre-trip meetings we discovered that Clarksdale is considered to be the Birthplace and World Capital of the Blues. I find that awesome, I know my grandfather loved Blues music so I hope we are exposed to it a little bit, never really gave Blues music a chance lol.
Also, I get to just view where my Godfather grew up. I recently learned his family still resides in Clarksdale so if anything happens.....JUST KIDDING nothing will.
Unfortunately, the Blues is not the only thing Mississippi is known for, it is also known as the worst poverty in the United States. I cant wait to start working with my group members and just opening our minds and hearts to the struggles of others. I know I am a caring person, but I also know I can be a selfish thinker as well, I hope to gain an even bigger appreciation for others, awareness of struggles known to little, and friendships with the wonderful people I will be working with for the next week.
I'll let you know how everything goes. Safe travels to All of the other AWB trips as well!!!!
Night! (well morning)

No comments:

Post a Comment